Happy Birthday Mom Mom!
“Beauty is a heart that generates love and a mind that is open.”
~Thich Nhat Hanh
Today is my mother’s 67th birthday. Happy Birthday Mom! My apologies for plastering your age all over the internet. But the thing is, I think 67 is pretty darn young. Be proud of it, you are beautiful.
This morning as I trekked to the train station in a foot of snow, the wind rushing through the trees sounded just like the ocean. Each step forward, my boots sank into slushy snow and my ears heard another wave crash onto the beach as “ocean spray” stung my face. It seemed fitting considering we had all spent Christmas together at my mother’s house at the Jersey shore. Midday on Christmas day we took a drive along the boardwalk and watched the ocean. My daughter and I played a game of “which do you like better?” and concluded snow and sand are equal in her book. …..
God is always present.
Love never dies.
No matter what happens in relationships, the connections we feel & the memories we have are ours to keep forever.
Cats are companions, and they are not as aloof as dog-lovers would have you believe.
There’s a way to dice onions into perfectly square pieces & this is how they should be cut for Grandpa’s turkey stuffing recipe.
- If you love it, buy it– it will work. Trust that the colors & patterns you love will work together as long as you are following your instincts & the finished creation makes you smile.
- Scents carry memories. Cinnamon candles & Obsession perfume bring you back to me, Mom.
- Everything has its place, and you can always make room for the important things you want to keep.
- If it makes you feel better to be a little obsessive about keeping track of things, go ahead & do it, no one’s gonna mind.
- Most everything can go in the dishwasher.
- People who don’t like to sit on the porch & enjoy the weather with a cup of tea or a glass of wine just haven’t done it enough to really appreciate this simple pleasure. Try Tension Tamer tea or Woodbridge Merlot.
- Take every opportunity to travel the world & meet new people!
- Take lots of pictures, keep your notes about trips– your friends will appreciate these reminders of happy times.
- Laugh often.
- Love much.
- There is a plan for every one of us. Trust.
- Be respectful of your neighbors.
- A couch in the kitchen is the best place for an afternoon nap.
- Give people the benefit of the doubt.
- Women are just as capable as men. If someone thinks otherwise, prove them wrong.
- No matter what you remembered or forgot to buy to *cook-decorate-fix-or-update* a *meal-home-thing-or-outfit* you can always improvise and make something beautiful with what you already have.
- Keep a spare key just in case.
- Take a deep breath when people drive you nuts, and try your best to hear where they are coming from. It doesn’t mean they are right, but it will make you feel better.
- There’s always a Plan B. Trust that truth, and don’t panic.
- Be proud of your family traditions & the good things about your own culture & background– celebrating diversity means celebrating *everybody*
- If you have hard day or you get stuck in a bad habit, destructive pattern or depression, forgive yourself & start over.
- It’s okay to use cuteness to your advantage. A sweet smile goes a long way.
- You will remember everything that is important. It will be okay.