Okay, it’s my first official love post. Gag all you want, I’m writing it anyway. I am so blown away by what an amazing relationship the universe has given me that I just feel the need to gush about it sometimes. Mostly that happens behind the scenes, but today it’s front and center, home page news. Read on if you wanna discover a few of the many reasons I fell in love with my girl. Or if you’re feeling more serious today, flip back through the blog archives and read about autism diagnoses or divorce or residential treatment. Personally, I’d stay here to catch some gossip. But it’s really your call.
Still with me? Wow, cool. Okay then. I present to you the…
TOP TEN REASONS I LOVE MY GIRL
10. She can use the word “dude” in context & appropriately in a clinical setting in her job as a physician. As in: Young & healthy but nervous patient: “Doc, you gotta help me, I think I’m having a heart attack!” Aubrey: “Dude, you are not having a heart attack.”
9. She can get Hannie out of a snit faster than anyone I’ve ever known. She never backs down from the Taurus bull horns until my baby bull daughter is smiling. I don’t know exactly how that works, but I love it.
8. She lets me take her picture (get your mind out of the gutter, this is a family show) even though she hates being photographed. How much does she love me? She bought me a camera for Christmas.
7. She can be tough as nails when she has to be, but when it comes to her chihuahuas she’s as sappy as the most sentimental mama. Her high pitched “doggie voice” is so sweet that even the geckos gaze lovingly when she talks to them.
6. She says she’s shy, but I’ve never noticed. … Okay, I’ll wait for that one to sink in– read it again… and…. did you get the word-behind-the-words? … There you go.
5. She lives deliberately, makes choices thoughtfully and solves problems ethically, for the good of the people she cares for. I have a tremendous amount of respect for her.
4. She is impossible to place “in a box.” To know Aubrey is to abandon your preconceived notions, because she’ll just blow right through them anyway. An ex-military flight surgeon who’s afraid of mice? A tattooed chick with a motorcycle who drives her fancy SUV with her tiny dogs perched on her lap like Paris Hilton? A critical care doc who can run codes in the ICU, but who cried at the preview of “Chimpanzee?” * Trying to capture her with a limited world view is like trying to measure the movement of an electron– the more you try, the more she’ll open your mind in the process (google “Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle“).
3. She is committed to learning & growing, she is willing to try again. And she’ll never give up on the people she loves. Ever.
2. Alex and Hannah both love her. Not because she’s in a relationship with their mother. But because she’s taken the time, had the patience and made the effort to get to know them, to find out the individual, beautiful people they are, and to build a connection with them on their terms. If you’ve read *anything else* on this blog about Alex especially, you’ll know what kind of person that makes Aubrey.
and the number one reason I love my girl:
1. Her love and acceptance have brought a secure, peaceful feeling to my life that I’ve never known before, and when I think about our future together I just feel so darn HAPPY!
* Click here to find out how to help chimpanzees in honor of my girl